What is a pendulum ?
A dowsing pendulum is a weighted object that hangs on the end of a string or a chain.
In which cases you can use a pendulum ?
The pendulum can have different functions :
- Answer a question : The pendulum can give an answer (yes or no) to a particular query. This one may be about a present problem or something that will happen in the future. That's the way we use the pendulum in this website.
- It can detect underground water sources, minerals such as gold or other resources of this type. In this special case it is also common to use a divining rod. This practice is sometimes called radiesthesia.
- Missing people : You can use a map of the area where the search is being conducted and use the pendulum over it to find the exact location.
- Locate a lost object.
- Communicate with your pet, for example, to find which brand of food it likes.
- According to your beliefs, connect with a supernatural force (ghosts, angel, ...).
The pendulum is a tool, like a kind of amplifier.
How to use a pendulum ?
Actually, the pendulum is the most popular divining tool. And there's a reason : It's very easy to use (you don't need to study before like for Tarot cards reading for example) and you don't have to be a medium or have a particular gift. As seen previously the divination pendulum can be used in different ways. Below we are going to focus on the ability to answer a question by yes or no (the reading skill).
First attach the pendulum to the chain.
Then you have to hold it between your thumb and index finger.
Choose a position with your hand such that the pendulum hangs freely and that you feel comfortable.
Now you're ready.
Before you make your first question, you have to ask the pendulum about the codes it's going to use. First request it to indicate the 'Yes'. The pendulum should start to rotate in one direction. Stop it and now ask for the 'No' to make sure you really understand each other. It should start to rotate in the other direction. Generally, when the pendulum turns clockwise, it corresponds to a positive response. But I've already been in cases that it was the opposite. In addition, the same pendulum can use a code during one session and change it the next one.
You can now ask your first question. The pendulum should start swinging to answer you.
How to use the online pendulum ?
Online, the use of the pendulum is really simple. All you have to do is write a question (in the yes or no form) and click on the button to validate. You will then be redirected to the answer.
How to make a pendulum ?
It's really simple : You just need a string (or chain) and a small weight (a nut for example if you don't have anything else). In my case, the last time I made a pendulum, I used sewing thread and a small padlock. Obviously, afterwards, if you like this practice and you are looking for a prettier object, you can buy one according to your taste. If you live in a big city you will certainly find an esoteric shop, in the other case you will be able to find one on Internet.
In the case you are looking for an underground water source, the pendulum may not be the best tool. This comes from a simply practical reason : it can be difficult to use it while walking or when there's wind or other bad weather conditions. Then, it will be easier to use a divining rod.
Why is the pendulum oscillating ?
This is not a legend, the pendulum is really oscillating, and not always in the same direction. There are then different explanations.
- The scientific explanation : The movement would be produced by an unconscious muscular action. This phenomenon is known as the ideomotor effect. This explanation does not completely contradict the fact that the pendulum can give you right answers in some situations. This could be a way to access your own unconscious.
- Radiesthesia : In the case of searching for underground water sources, oil or minerals, the theory is that we have the ability to feel certain radiations and the pendulum would allow us to amplify the phenomenon. Scientific experiments have been conducted on this subject and have never been able to demonstrate the veracity of this theory.
- Connection with supernatural forces : Some people think that the pendulum allows the contact with occult forces. These could be spirits, ghosts, angels... Of course, nothing scientific here.
Is the pendulum reliable ?
From what we said in the previous paragraph, the pendulum could be reliable if we question it in relation to something that our unconscious knows. Let's check the different cases trying to use a logical argumentation :
- To use the pendulum to find a lost object may be possible if this information is in your brain but you can't access it.
If you are not the one who lose it, then it becomes impossible.
A note on missing persons : If this worked, the police would use this method.
- Communicate with your pet : It seems logically impossible, except if your unconscious can better interpret your animal behavior than 'yourself'. So you don't communicate directly with your dog but you ask your unconscious if he noticed something special.
- Contacting occult forces is clearly not scientific.
- Discovering an underground water source may be possible if your unconscious mind deciphers your environment better than you do. For example : You don't notice it but the grass is greener in some places, which indicates the presence of water. Or, there's certain kind of plant that tend to grow on wet soils.
- Answering a yes or no question would be possible only if you indirectly know the answer yourself. For example, if you ask 'Will I sleep well this night ?', you may receive a reliable answer. However, it makes no sense to ask if number 3 will be the first number in tomorrow's lottery draw.
Please, note that I do not have a real deep knowledge of what the unconscious is. To associate it with super powers of self-knowledge or past knowledge may not be justified. Another question is : Even if it's the case, can we trust it ?
Is the online pendulum really accurate?
The online pendulum is based on random.
So the answers have no real reason to be particularly accurate.
But there are still some cases where he could actually give you the right answer.
Let's analyze one in particular : The assumption that we are living in a simulation.
It's not a new theory, the myth of Plato's Cave could be the first time it had been expressed. More recently, movies like 'Matrix' interrogate our conception of reality. The more our technology progress, the more this hypothesis seems credible. Don't forget that when we sleep and start dreaming, we are in a kind of simulation.
So the online pendulum could be a way to communicate with the intelligence that manages the simulation. But, the following questions can still be asked :
- Why would this AI answer us ?
- If it does : is there any reason it should tell us the truth ? (If we are in a simulation, then the AI is already lying to us to some degree)
- Is it able to answer everything, especially questions about the future ? Another way to say it is : do we have a destiny in this simulation or are we in control of our own future ?
You can use the pendulum online as much as you want but keep in mind that it is a game of chance. Always stay in control of your choices and your life.
If you think that something in this article is wrong, do not hesitate to let us know by using the contact form.
In the beginning and the middle of the 20th century the pendulum (more generally a forked rod) was a famous tool. Here are some newspaper articles referring to it.
- If you have never heard of dowsing, this article contains a brief history. The author is rather partisan of the method and tries to find an explanation (but remains a bit confused).
- This article makes a list of dowsing methods. But he remains skeptical until the end, totally questioning this practice.
- In this short text we talk about Chevreul, an eminent French chemist and natural philosopher. His opinion is that the movements of the pendulum, or the rod, are purely subjective, the dowser being their involuntary author. Until now, this has remained the opinion of the most of the scientist.
- This text tells us the story of Miss Penrose, a famous dowser. She has the capacity to dowse for water but also oil. In addition, she can search directly from a map.
- This article follows another article where Miss Penrose was criticized. It offers us 3 points of view on dowsing.
- The author tries to talk about dowsing in a rather neutral way. He also gives the original, and somewhat a bit funny, example of using the pendulum to test food.
Our goal is not to take sides (Pro or Against) the use of the pendulum (or more generally a divining rod) to search for water but to offer you an original and interesting documentation for those who are curious.